November 9, 2008

Crockpot - my new favorite appliance

I have kind of been in a cooking slump lately. I haven't been in the mood to get in the kitchen, so last week I took the 'lazy' way out and used the crock pot to make an entire dinner. Well maybe not the entire dinner, but pretty close, all I had to do was make a salad to go alongside the steak and baked potatoes that cooked in the crockpot while I was at work. I won't lie, I was a little hesitant at first, I mean steak cooked in the crockpot, its kind of weird. But it was a success! So when you need something simple and good, give this one a try. Here's what you need:

1 1/2 lbs. steak
1/4 Cup beef broth
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. your favorite steak rub
1 small onion, sliced (or you can use 1 Tbsp. dried onion flakes)

You'll also need:
2-4 potatoes
2-4 ears of corn
aluminum foil

First put the steaks in the crockpot and season them on both sides. Then add the onions, Worcestershire sauce and broth (if you use dried onion flakes rub them on the steaks with the steak rub). I put extra broth in with my steaks because our crockpot cooks things fast and I didn't want them to burn.
Then clean and scrub the potatoes and cover with foil. Add the potatoes to the pot. Shuck the corn and wrap each ear in foil, then add those to the crockpot.
The recipe said to cook on high for 5-7 hours, or on low for about 8. I cooked it on high for 2 hours, then on low for 3 more hours, but mine cooks fast and I already knew that. So you be the judge on how long to cook it.

4 comments:

  1. I'm gonna try that with venison!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'm going to try this but with no onions. Unfortunately, my husband won't get near them. This sounds good. And you looked so cute at Homecoming yesterday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll leave that venison to you Lita!
    Gena, I'm sure the steak will still taste great, even without the onions and thanks!
    ps: I also added some sliced mushrooms we had leftover from calzone night, they were delicious too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made it with venison yesterday. Couldn't find any beef broth and since I live in the boonies, I wasn't about to get out in the nasty weather for one can of broth. Instead, used same amount of water, flavored with about 2 tsp. of Kitchen Bouquet (browning and seasoning sauce). It was delicious.

    ReplyDelete