November 2, 2009

Brazilian Black Beans and Rice

That's right folks, I still do cook sometimes...I have had red beans and rice before, and I really like them, so when I saw this recipe I knew I needed to try it out. Black beans are by far my favorite bean, and this recipe did not disappoint. Here's what you need:

White Minute Rice, as desired
2 cans black beans
2 Tbsp minced garlic
butter
1 package smoked sausage (I used the turkey kind)

Using the instructions on the box, measure how much rice you want for your family. In a saute pan melt 2 Tbsp butter (more if you are doing a lot of rice). Add garlic and dry white rice. Saute until rice is golden brown, this gives the rice a nutty flavor. Cook the rice according to the package directions.

Cut up the sausage into whatever size pieces you like. In another sauce pan, brown and render the fat from the sausage you are using. You may want to add butter or oil to the pan to help it cook up faster and stick less. When the sausage is nice and browned, developing a sweet flavor, and there is a good amount of fat in the pan add the black beans (don't drain them).

Heat the meat/bean mixture thoroughly. Add salt to taste and add more garlic if you'd like.

Serve beans over rice with a nice piece of crusty bread!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! I think I'll try this recipe tonight. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the idea of toasting my rice first. thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bailey! I didn't know you did this! how fun!!!!!!!!
    WOW!! I grew up on black beans and rice in Brazil! there are many variations on this recipe but it is good! I also like to chop up tomatoes really fine, add some Italian Parsley, put a little vinegar and Olive oil to it. (you can add onions also if you like) and mix it in with the beans and rice on your plate. Also another thing is to saute garlic in olive oil and add collard greens to it. Cook the collard greens until done and add a little bacon. mix it all together in your plate. Its colorful and DELICIOUS!!! also add me as a "follower" on here. I have an account! Love Ya!!

    ReplyDelete