October 10, 2008

Dessert...Yummm

My favorite dessert is creme brulee. I am leaving for Disney World in the morning and will eat my weight in creme brulee if I can, I'll definitely have it at every place possible. I made my first attempt at this dessert tonight and it came out so so. I think I'll do a few things different next time. But here's the recipe:

2 Cups heavy cream
5 egg yolks
1/2 Cup sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 Cup brown sugar, give or take

Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Whisk the cream, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl until nice and creamy (this is where I made the mistake, I didn't whisk it long enough, next time I'll use the KitchenAid). Evenly distribute the creme mixture into ramekins, or into a small casserole dish. Place the ramekins in a baking dish and fill halfway up the ramekins with hot water. Place the pan with the ramekins in the oven for 45 minutes. Check them every 10 minutes after the initial 45 to see if they are done. You will know they're done when you stick a knife into one and it comes out clean. Set them on the counter and let them cool for 15 minutes. Cover and place them in the fridge overnight.

Spread a thin layer of brown sugar on top of each ramekin. Either use a torch to harden the sugar or place them under the broiler until the sugar hardens.

Yummm...

Since I'll be gone all next week hanging out with Mickey Mouse, I won't be able to update. I'll try and take some pictures of the fabulous food I get to try at EPCOT Food and Wine Festival.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds so good! Have fun in Disneyworld. Sounds like everyone is going there next week.

    ReplyDelete