October 4, 2008

My Favorite Salads

Thursday night was my night for dinner again and I decided to try out BBQ pulled pork. I always get that at any BBQ restaurant I go to so I figured I'd give it a try...it didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, so maybe I'll try it again and then I can share the recipe. Along with the pulled pork I made oven fried potatoes and Chinese coleslaw. I absolutely LOVE Chinese coleslaw and if you haven't ever tried it, you should. I don't like the regular kind (mayonnaise makes me gag) but this one is vinegar based and fantastic. Here are the ingredients you'll need:

Salad:
5 Cups pre-shredded coleslaw mix
4 green onions, chopped
1 (3oz) pkg. Ramen noodles
1/2 Cup slivered almonds
2 Tbsp. sesame seeds

Dressing:
1 Cup oil
1 tsp Lawrys
1/3 Cup rice vinegar
1 tsp pepper
1/2 Cup sugar

Mix dressing , store in refrigerator. Toast almonds and sesame seeds in a small amount of butter until lightly toasted, let cool. Mix sesame seeds, almonds, cabbage and green onions, add dressing then add crushed ramen noodles just before serving.

Another of my favorite salads uses basically the same ingredients, just substitute green leaf lettuce for the coleslaw mix. Also you will need 1 pkg. of sliced almonds and 1/3 Cup of sesame seeds for the large green salad. Toss all those together and serve with the same dressing as the Chinese coleslaw.

And my last salad recipe for this post is a Spinach salad. Here's what you need:

Salad:
6 Cups baby spinach
3/4 Cup sliced strawberries or granny smith apples
1/3 Cup blue cheese
1/2 Cup pecans (broken and sauteed in small skillet with 2 Tbsp. sugar and sprinkle with 1 tsp chili powder

Dressing:
1/2 Cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard
1/3 Cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp onion flakes
3/4 Cup vegetable oil

Put all dressing ingredients in blender and mix well. Mix salad ingredients and toss with dressing.

These are my 3 favorite salads and I highly recommend them all! I could probably eat the whole entire bowl of each of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment