October 1, 2009

Pancakes

I have always had trouble with pancakes. I either flip them too soon and splatter batter all over the place or I wait too long until they are rubbery, ick. I finally found the perfect pancake batter that has, so far, worked every time. Here is what you need:

1 1/2 Cups flour
1 Tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/4-1/2 tsp salt (or more depending on your taste)
1 egg
4 Tbsp butter, melted or shortening
1 1/4 Cups milk

Sift the dry ingredients together twice into a large bowl. Beat the egg with the milk and butter, beating to combine. Using a wooden spoon, fold the egg mixture into the dry ingredients to make a smooth batter without over mixing. Heat a heavy griddle or frying pan greased with butter. The pan is hot enough when a drop of water breaks into several smaller drops which 'dance' around the pan. Pour a small amount of batter (approx. 1/4 cup) into a pan and tip to spread out or spread with spoon. When bubbles appear on surface and begin to break, turn over and cook the other side. If you like chocolate chips or blueberries add those right before flipping the pancakes over. Serve with lemon juice and powdered sugar or your favorite syrup. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Hungry Jack Complete Pancake Mix works every single time....I watched Alton Brown on this one time and he says the tricks is adding wet to the dry and mixing until incorporated....it seems to work for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can make a marvel of a fondant covered cake, but I can mess up pancakes like nobody's business! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy...this recipe sounds good! I'll be trying that one as soon as I'm at a point in life where I can cook something that other people can actually eat without being contaminated. That's tomorrow...YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete